Thursday, February 13, 2014

Play Money Sites Mini Report 1

Updated Site Totals:
119 Mil Zynga
3.1 Mil PokerStars client
7.0 Mil IveyPoker
2.4 Mil FreshDeck
1.0 Mil PokerStars FB app .. finally!

I hate the java software lag on PokerStars.Net app, causing misclicks, and it gets worse the longer you play it (memory leaks?).  but for one table, it's a great idea to bring in casual players.  The "float" quest in the "Tours" section still seems broke, but it's worth checking out, as it gives you different missions to complete, such as "playing suited connectors" and "float the flop, bet the turn" etc
Plus the chat is too small even when full screen! PokerStars.net

https://www.facebook.com/IveyPoker #IveyPoker client has similar issue with small chat.. really hard to read unless you are right up on your screen.  ESPECIALLY On the android client on my phone, even though I have a Note 2 which is one of the larger screen phones on the market.
It will be nice when the site has more players and more tables running, so the tournaments will actually run.  Right now, most play SnG's.
The level of play here is much more like Live poker, whereas PokerStars is more like online poker.
They have a bunch of training vidoes and such to learn to be a better poker player, but I haven't checked them out yet... maybe if they hire me, I'll check out all of them ;)

Both PokerStars and Ivey Poker have pros that will sit at the tables that you can play with, though I am not sure how often PokerStars has their pros playing Play Money, I have seen Daniel Negranu do it before!
However, at Ivey Poker, they usually have a pro or two play every day or two.. I actually played a few orbits with Patrik Antonius yesterday, and look forward to playing with Ivey himself!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zynga-Poker/141094772576049
Zynga, needs the option to go FULL SCREEN! it's quite small and limited to 1 table as is Fresh Deck Poker.

I believe all of these apps allow you to purchase chips, so you can jump right into the higher stakes games, where even in play money, it's more like real poker, and less like Bingo.  I have never purchased chips myself, but did apply for a Serve card (like an online version of American Express) which gave me a 35mil chip bonus on Zynga, when I had around that many chips already organically.

Many will argue that play money is not the same as playing for real money, and they are partially right, at some limits, but it's WAY closer now than it used to be.  I used to play a fair amount of play money online on PokerStars and other sites, before I started playing for real money in 2009.  Things have changed a LOT!

I think Ivey Poker plays the most like live Poker in Vegas, with Zynga being much softer (it's easier and cheaper to generate or buy chips) , and PokerStars being harder, more like online play.  Fresh Deck has a more difficult field than Zynga, but not as difficult as Ivey Poker.

All of these sites have a range of "softest" or "beginner" where people don't really know how to play, or don't CARE because it's play chips, to intermediate where people start playing for real and actually trying to learn poker, to advanced, where people play pretty much the same as they do live or with real money online, etc.   This varies from site to site.
Post a Comment