Thursday, December 3, 2009

How Low is TOO Low? When to Push in Tournaments

What is YOUR opinion on when to push in a tournament? I'm asking this question relative to Big Blinds (BB's) ... 20BB ? 10BB? 7 BB? 4BB? 1BB???

Obviously, you can come from behind with a single chip! The later in the tournament you do this, the more difficult it will be to accomplish.

It seems the average consensus with your average player is 10BB. It seems your good players will play all the way down to 3 or 4 BB. And some crazy players will push it all the way to a 0.5 BB! (usually when they are anted in with their last chip!)

I USED to play down to whatever it took. Then I started listening to those who seemed to know what they were talking about and pushing between 15 and 10 BB.

These days, I'm back to "situational". Depends on WHEN in the tournament, the cost to enter, the time it will take, etc... and whether I have any fold equity at all. Of course, I give away very little fold equity when there is a chance to knock someone out, and there is a chance that their range is pretty wide.

How many BB are you comfortable with before you start to worry??
In general, I'm comfortable with anything 20 BB or more.

I wonder what would happen if I was as patient in RAZZ as I am in NL HE?
Post a Comment